The Spanish word Ser means To Be in English. The mission of Project Ser, a community organization in Macas, a small city in the Ecuadorian Amazon, is to facilitate the communal creation of alternative spaces of human development. To be and to let be, to be and to grow, by focusing on humanist ideals and living in harmony with the environment.
The objective of Project SER is to contribute to the wellbeing of people, families, and community through alternative methods of education to strengthen harmony between the oneself, their interactions with others, as well as their connection to nature and the community.
Project SER is located on a 4 hectare plot of land in the Ecuadorian Amazon by the River Upano in Morona Santiago Province, ten minutes from the capital Macas. The area has two cabins, a kitchen stove, showers, electricity (that is off-the-grid solar when possible) as well as composting toilets (dry toilets) with sustainable treatment / processing methods for compost and manure.
This project is certified under the government Ministry of Economic and Social Inclusion and holds three lines of action: – eco-environmental and alternative education
– alternative therapies through active learning spaces for children and adults
– building an ecological and self-sustaining community
Project SER works closely with the Shuar and Achuar indigenous nationalities and promotes an increased cultural exchange and increased participation of their families and children. By organizing workshops on permaculture, alternative forms of education, alternative health, personal and interpersonal development, among others, that are open to the community, facilitates this cultural exchange of knowledge.
The project is building cottages with local and sustainable resources (guadúa, cane and mud) and aims to sustain itself through its own cultivation of organic fruit and vegetable crops. Their goal is to consolidate a space that is being reforested and preserved for endangered species.
VOLUNTEER TASKS AND RESPONBILITIES
Areas of work for volunteers
– Education based on the Montessori (requires an excellent proficiency in Spanish) with three months minimum,
– Teachers of languages for children and adolscents (kichwa, shuar chican, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, etc) 1 month minimum volunteer
– Ecological architecture, permaculture, and bio-construction: those who are interested in acquiring the knowledge (Spanish fluency not necessary) – 2 weeks minimum time for volunteers.
– Organic agriculture, open to those who are interested in acquiring the knowledge (Spanish fluency not necessary) – 2 weeks minimum time for volunteers.
– If you have worked in media, graphic design, photography and creative illustration you can really help build and strengthen the identity of this project. Knowledge of Spanish is not necessary but the basics will help for a more rewarding experience.
Volunteers should work 4 hours daily and will have home-stay accommodation in the houses of the associations families.
Price per week:
– $65 USD per week for 3 weeks or less
– $50 USD per week for 4 to 8 weeks.
– $40 USD per week for 9 weeks or more.
– all accommodation.
Minimum Time Volunteering:
– A $130 USD for two weeks is the shortest amount of time you can spend on this project
Ecuadorecovolunteer.org first came online in 2007. It is one of Ecuador’s oldest and most trustworthy online directories for volunteers to connect with high quality volunteer programs in Ecuador’s Andes mountains and Amazon rainforest or on the Pacific Coast & Galapagos islands.
This website does not make any money. Volunteers are encouraged to talk directly with the organisations doing the amazing grassroots conservation and community work on the ground in Ecuador. Jake the Aussie behind Ecuador Eco Volunteer can be contact via twitter: twitter.com/chekhovdispatch