Last year was an huge year for us at Ecuador Eco Volunteer – the biggest year we’ve ever had – and hopefully we can follow that trend of growth this year because the bigger we grow and the more volunteers that work with us on our programs the more change we can make in Ecuador.
Achievements and Milestones of 2010
We have been running for four years now and here is a run down of all the achievements and milestones we are really proud of from last year:-
– In March Wlady moved out of the makeshift office in a spare room in the Riobamba Guesthouse and found an office on the main road near the bus station.
– In April I came back to Ecuador to work full time at this organization after three years outside of the country. During that three years I was back in my home country Australia working on Ecuador Eco Adventure / Volunteer remotely in my spare time between mind numbingly boring call center jobs.
– Previously all of our volunteer programs were listed along with our eco-trips on the Ecuador Eco Adventure site but we decided to split that site in two and thus Ecuador Eco Volunteer was born!
– The original www.ecuadorecoadventure.com site was also redesigned and is looking much better, and fortunately i’ve learnt a lot about web design in the last four years!
– We started giving discounts to our volunteers for all the eco-trips on Ecuador Eco Adventure as a way to say thanks for all the help they have given us and Ecuador.
– Our site was listed on www.volunteersouthamerica.net/ which lists the best volunteer work programs on the continent
– This Ecuador Eco Volunteer Blog was made one of the Top Volunteer Blogs on GoOverseas.com, a great site all about ethical travel and volunteer work.
What Needs Improvement
To continue the inertia of last year we need to take an hard look at ourselves to see what needs to be improved.
As with personal growth its sometimes hard to see ones own blind spots, areas that need improvement, even if they are blindingly obvious to other people. I believe the same also applies to an organization you have grown from infancy – sometimes its hard to know what your organization good at and at what it downright sucks.
To address these blindspots we ask our volunteers at the end of their tenure a couple of questions like how their time was, what they liked best about the volunteer program and what can be changed to improve it. This helps us taylor each and every volunteer program which in turn lets it grow and evolve to be the best it can be.
Well now we are going to take that one step further with an online survey we will give to our volunteers where they can record their thoughts and ideas to improve all of our volunteer programs. This online survey plugin for wordpress should be up and running soon!
What You Can Do Now
If you are planning to volunteer with us sometime in the future there are ways you can help us right now. We are working very hard to build the community around this website and our facebook page (click the Find us on Facebook badge on the right navigation bar) little things like posting comments on this blog and Liking our facebook page help us enormously.
So dont be a stranger, tell me what you think by leaving a comment here 😀